Sober Living Akron, Ohio
Start your path to sobriety and wellness today.
Get The Help You Need
Recovery Institute of Ohio offers sober living programs to provide individuals in addiction recovery with a smooth transition back to everyday life after completing a residential treatment program. Adjusting back to everyday life can be challenging for many individuals, making sober living an ideal choice to ensure a safe and secure environment while practicing with the tools learned throughout inpatient rehab.
What is Sober Living?
Sober living is considered shared housing with other individuals who are both sober and at similar stages in their recovery process. Sober living can be defined as a bridge to ease the transition back to “real life.”
Our sober living housing options serve as a safe, sober space to transition a patient from inpatient treatment to living in a typical environment. After receiving residential or inpatient treatment, many individuals choose to live in a sober living home before immediately returning to their own homes.
What is the Difference Between Transitional Sober Living Homes and a Halfway House?
Sober living homes and halfway houses provide living environments that are both drug and alcohol-free, but there are distinct differences between the two. A halfway house has a limit on the number of months an individual can reside there, whereas a sober living home offers more flexibility on the length of time someone can stay as long as they follow the house rules and continue to pay rent.
Additionally, a halfway house often requires residents to complete an inpatient treatment program before living in the house. While many people who live in a sober living home have completed an inpatient program, it is not a requirement.
What are the Benefits of a Sober Living Community?
Adjusting back to daily life can be difficult for many on their path to recovery, especially after completing a residential treatment program. Sober living offers multiple benefits, which include:
- Provides a Safe, Sober Living Environment: Each person in a sober living home is on their path to recovery and maintains a sober lifestyle, creating a safe space for residents.
- Increased Flexibility and Independence: Individuals have less structure than in a residential treatment program, which provides them with opportunities to put the lessons they have learned during their inpatient treatment program into practice and finely tune their coping skills.
- Offers a More Gentle Transition: Sober living encourages a continued path of sobriety but with a more transitional-approach to recovery than if the individual were to immediately return to their everyday living environment, increasing exposure to potential triggers.
- Access to 12-Step Programs: Most sober living homes in Akron, Ohio, provide access to 12-step meetings within the home, making these meetings easy to attend.
- Provides a Support System: Sober living provides residents with access to a community of people living a drug and alcohol-free lifestyle, which can be very encouraging for residents during their recovery process.
Transitional Housing: What Can I Expect From a Sober Living House in Akron?
While staying in a sober living home in Akron, Ohio, individuals have independence and flexibility with their schedule and time. They are encouraged to attend to work responsibilities, visit with friends, engage in social activities, and resume their everyday responsibilities. Sober living homes do have curfews that residents must follow and attend group meetings that take place within the house regularly.
Most people reside in a sober living home for at least 90 days, but the exact amount of time is unique for each individual based on their needs.
Who Should Move Into a Sober Living Home?
Moving into a sober living environment can help those who have recently completed a residential treatment program and who may have concerns about remaining sober upon returning to their home. Sober living can also be a good fit for those who would like a more flexible rehab program to maintain their employment position.
Need Help Finding a Sober Living Home?
Are you or your loved one ready to successfully transition into a sober living environment? As a professional and comprehensive addiction treatment center, Drug Rehab Ohio can help you transition into the home that is right for your needs.