Sober Living Dayton, Ohio
Start your path to sobriety today.
Get The Help You Need
Sober living provides individuals with a smooth transition back to everyday life after completing a residential treatment program. Adjusting back to one’s “normal life” can be challenging for many people on their recovery journey, which is the primary reason that sober living is a favorable and recommended option. Sober living creates a safe and secure environment to encourage the continuous practice of what was learned during an inpatient addiction treatment program.
At Recovery Institute of Ohio, our treatment programs are available to those who seek recovery from substance abuse disorders and/or mental health problems. Our sober living in Dayton, Ohio, provides clients with a supportive and sober home during their transition back to the real world.
What is Sober Living?
Sober living is a shared home with other individuals practicing sobriety and are at similar stages in their recovery process. This type of living can be considered a transitional bridge between an inpatient treatment program and an individual’s everyday living environment. After receiving residential treatment, many clients choose to live in a sober living house before immediately returning to their own homes.
What is the Difference Between Sober Living and a Halfway House?
Both sober living homes and halfway houses provide individuals with a living environment that is drug-free and alcohol-free, yet there are distinct differences between the two. A halfway house does not typically limit the amount of time a resident can live there. In contrast, a sober living home offers a flexible duration of time in which one can stay as long as they maintain their financial responsibilities and obey the house rules.
Halfway houses also tend to require residents to complete an inpatient treatment program before moving into the house. While many people who live in a sober living home have completed an inpatient treatment program, it is not considered a requirement.
What are the Benefits of Sober Living?
Adjusting back to daily life can be challenging for many individuals on their path to recovery, especially after completing an inpatient treatment program. Sober living offers a multitude of benefits, which include:
- Provides a Safe, Sober Living Environment: Each person in a sober living home is on their path to recovery and focuses on abstaining from drug and alcohol consumption, essentially creating a safe space for individuals.
- Increased Flexibility and Independence: Individuals residing in a sober living home have less structure than in a residential treatment program, which allows them to practice the lessons they have learned during inpatient treatment and finely tune their coping skills.
- Offers a More Gentle Transition: Sober living encourages a continued path of sobriety but with a more phased-approach to recovery than if the individual were to immediately return to their everyday living environment by moderately increasing the exposure to potential triggers.
- Access to 12-Step Programs: Most sober living homes in Dayton, Ohio, provide access to 12-step meetings within the home, simplifying attendance.
- Provides a Support System: Sober living provides residents with access to a community of other individuals living a drug and alcohol-free lifestyle. This can be very encouraging for residents during their recovery process and can help to build a community.
What Can I Expect From a Sober Living House in Dayton?
While staying in a sober living home in Dayton, Ohio, individuals have the independence and flexibility to create their schedule. They can go to work, visit with friends, engage in social activities, and resume their normal responsibilities. Sober living homes have curfews that residents must follow and attend group meetings that take place within the house regularly.
Most residents stay in a sober living home for at least 90 days, but the exact amount of time is unique for each individual based on their needs.
Who Should Move into a Sober Living Home?
Moving into a sober living environment can help those who have recently completed a residential treatment program and have concerns about remaining sober upon returning to their home. Sober living can also be a good fit for those who would like a more flexible rehab program to maintain their employment and other responsibilities.
Need Help Finding a Sober Living Home?
Are you or your loved one ready to successfully transition into a sober living environment? As a professional and integrative substance abuse treatment center, Drug Rehab Ohio is here to help you or your loved one transition into the best fit home.